AdoptUSKids is a service of the U.S. Children’s Bureau and has been in operation since 2002 by the Adoption Exchange Association under a cooperative agreement (grant #90CQ0003).
The mission of AdoptUSKids is two-fold: to raise public awareness about the need for foster and adoptive families for children in the public child welfare system; and to assist U.S. States, Territories, and Tribes to recruit and retain foster and adoptive families and connect them with children.
To accomplish this mission, AdoptUSKids provides the following services:
- On-site and off-site technical assistance for U.S. States, Territories, Tribes, and Courts through the National Resource Center for Diligent Recruitment at AdoptUSKids
- A national public awareness outreach campaign done in coordination with the Ad Council through radio, print, and TV public service advertisements with the theme “You Don’t Have to be Perfect to be a Perfect Parent”
- A toll-free information and referral line for families and professionals at 888-200-4005
- A full service website with photolistings of children and families, information on adoption and foster care guidelines across the country, and resources for recruiting and retaining families
- Support for foster and adoptive families through the provision of short-term, mini-grants for parent support groups
- Evaluation and research on evidence-based foster and adoption practices